Thursday, 4 February 2016



                                                                                   By  Sarah Muchiri

Director of public  prosecution
Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko has said there is sufficient evidence to charge former National Youth Service (NYS) director Nelson Githinji and two junior officials with abuse of office.
Mr Tobiko said the three should be prosecuted for using NYS funds for private gain. 

“Having given full consideration to the evidence in the file, the DPP is now satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to support the recommended charges against all the suspects.
“The DPP therefore accepted the EACC  recommendations and directed that prosecution ensue immediately,”
The charges relate to an EACC inquiry that linked Dr Githinji to servicing and maintaining a private car with registration number KBS 475S with Sh497,335 .
The commission then recommended that Dr Githinji be prosecuted.
Dr Githinji, who resigned in November 2015 over a Sh695 million scandal at the NYS, had already been charged in court alongside 26 other Devolution ministry employees with offences relating to embezzlement of funds.
He and former Principal Secretary Peter Mangiti were charged with attempting to induce a senior deputy director-general in charge of administration, Mr Adan Harakhe, “not to follow up the matter relating to the conspiracy” to steal money from the government.
The prosecution alleged that the two threatened their colleague with dire consequences unless he dropped his pursuit of the matter.

No comments: